Saturday, June 23, 2012

June 18, 2012

Dear Mom and Dad,
This week has been super interesting.  Like my English student says, "it rain like dog and cat."  We haven't had a typhoon yet, but a few have passed by the island, so there is a lot of rain, and flooding in some areas.  I rode out to a secondary area yesterday, it was some of the worst rain I've ever seen.  Some of the roads had flooded, there was about 2 to 3 inches of water covering the roads.  I had to take my glasses off, because riding without them was actually more efficient.  Honestly, its pretty fun.  Elder Dailey seems to like it more than I do.  The worst part is the open sewers get filled with water and flood, so its not the kind of puddles that you want to play in.  Haha!  Its a really interesting feeling, because all of my clothes get drenched; not from the rain, but from sweating in the raingear.  Anyways, maybe that gives you an idea of how the rain is here. Taiwanese people don't like it because its inconvenient.  You would think that they would get used to it, but they're really funny about it.  Whenever there's any kind of typhoon warning, the members call us and tell us to be careful.  They don't like that we go out in the rain.
It must be a term only used in our mission.  A "larry" is an Elder that marries a Taiwanese girl.  There's a lot of jokes about it, and most missionaries don't look upon it very highly.  Which goes to show, the missionaries here are really obedient and focused.  We take a lot of pride in it, and when we tell stories about missionaries doing bad and crazy things, its usually about missionaries in other countries.  I'm probably one of the more disobedient missionaries, sometimes I take my socks off in the rain so my feet are more comfortable.  Pretty crazy, huh?  Anyways, that's what a Larry is.  I don't know, I guess I'm not against the idea.  It would have some really great benefits, and some really big challenges, and it would all depend if you really loved the person and were compatible.  In other words, something I don't need to worry about for another 4 and a half months, dui bu dui? 
Today we are going as a zone to visit the Dream Mall.  Ooohh.  Its over in Gaoxiong city, its the second largest mall in Asia, and has a roller coaster on the top of it.  We're excited about it.  I'll tell you about it next week.
I try to keep Kyle in my prayers.  He worries me, but I try not to let it distract me too much.  I don't know, its hard for me to feel bad for someone who chooses to hurt themselves like that.  I don't get it.  How could you be in a situation like that and not want to change?  I wish I could help him, I don't know what I can do.  How is Nick doing?  I've been thinking about him lately.  I love him a lot, I really hope that when I get home, I'll have a chance to share the gospel with him.  We'll see.
I'm so grateful that I never have to worry about my parents.  I love you both, and I'm thankful for the great lives you have chosen to live.  Dad, I'm especially grateful for you this week.  Thanks for being my dad.  I hope to make you both proud by the life I choose to live.
Love,
Elder Travis Leatham

No comments: